[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer name change [AGAIN]

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon May 3 17:26:31 CEST 2004

Alex Beregszaszi writes:
> > I think it is time for a name change.  No, not what you think, MPlayer
> > shall remain MPlayer.  But the complete name
> >
> >   MPlayer - The Movie Player for Linux
> >
> > is highly misleading nowadays that MPlayer runs on almost everything
> > that can distinguish between 0 and 1 except the old Mac OS.
> >
> > My suggestion is just to shorten the name a bit:
> >
> >   MPlayer - The Movie Player
> >
> > What do you think?
> I propose MPlayer - Open Source Move Player
> or Free Movie Player

I still stand by my original proposal, since it is the least
invasive.  Having Linux in the name is absurd when you are so
portable.  Adding open source might not be liked by the free software
folks and vice versa.  Media player sounds good, but MPlayer still has
to grow a bit into the interactive direction for this and maybe
support DVD menus, flash, stuff like that.  The next name change
should be to "the media player" ;).

Just talked to Alex and Sascha about this on IRC, they're OK with that
name.  Any objections?

Diego