[MPlayer-dev-eng] Nut and Matroska comparison :)))

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon May 3 10:40:14 CEST 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 03:28:12AM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> I've seen some misleading statements about NUT and MKV lately, so I
> thought I should clear some things up and write again about where I
> stand on MKV. :))

One thing I meant to say that I forgot... (Thanks Diego for reminding
me!) MKV is not horrible, and in fact it's better than most
containers. The worst containers are QuickTime (horrible feature bloat
and obfuscation), AVI (horrible overhead and limitations), ASF (bad
overhead, fixed low-precision timebase), and worst of all, OGG/OGM
(overhead even worse than AVI, bad seeking, and overall incompetent
design).

So, I started this thread to be a comparison of two of the better
containers, and an argument that NUT excels over Matroska in most
areas. But of course Matroska is still a good bit better than all the
other crap out there!

Rich