[MPlayer-dev-eng] KiSS of copyright

Christof Buergi christof at buergi.lugs.ch
Thu Mar 25 22:52:32 CET 2004

D Richard Felker III sagte:
> No, you do not need a license to "use" software. The GPL makes it
> abundantly clear that this is true at least for the GPL.

All right. As I told before, I am no lawyer. But I had classes about
copyright. And this matter was something we discussed a long time.
Thus, I'm absolutely postive that you are very wrong.

Software is the only copyrightable thing, were you *don't* have a
right to use it. You *need* the explicit authorisation from whoever
holds the rights to the program. So, technically spoken, you are not
even allowed to boot Linux if you don't agree to the GPL. In fact, you
would be liable for damages.

--
Say no to HTML in Mail and News!              / \