[MPlayer-dev-eng] Should I write Voodoo Banshee VIDIX driver?

Georgi Petrov gogothebee at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 23:49:39 CET 2004

Hi guys :)

My English is poor, don't blame me :)

I just wondered if I write Voodoo Banshee/Voodoo 3 VIDIX driver will
be there any theoretical speedup compared to XVideo? I think that one
memcpy could be saved, but first I want to ask someone, who knows
this for sure. I have Celeron 300MHz @ 338 (without L2 cache) and
playing without framedrop is marginally possible. With
runtime-profiled (gcc 3.3.1 - it makes a little difference) mplayer
I'm able to watch *most* MPEG-4 movies without any trouble. There are
however cases, where the scene is too fast and some frames are
dropped, which drives me insane.

Please - I'm expecting ideas - any benefit from Banshee VIDIX driver?
Anyway, I'm going to do it, I want to do it. I haven't written driver
before, but I have almost everything I need:

1) motivation
2) Banshee's full specification (BTW, comparable to Voodoo 3)
3) *_vid VIDIX drivers to take ideas from
4) tdfx_vid driver
5) much time (I'm still studying and right now I have nothing better
to do:)

6) I need XVideo Banshee driver's source. I have sloooow Inet
connection and as far as I know its source isn't distributed
separately, so if somebody can mail me the driver, I will be very
thankful.

Well, that's it. If I don't become suddently stopped by something
VERY scary, I'll write this driver.

Anyone, ideas???

Georgi Petrov
gogothebee at yahoo.com