[MPlayer-dev-eng] KiSS of copyright

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 21:09:29 CET 2004

Gabucino wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
>>P.S. Gabu, post FULL mail archives of the discussion with KiSS by
>>tomorrow or I'll post what I have.
>
> I can not, I have a promise to hold (anyway I told you the contents of the
> mails, if you think I'm a liar, it's entirely your problem). You don't respect
> laws nor anything, so you can go ahead, feel _Free_, or use whatever reason...

In the business world, a promise is only a promise if it is written in a
contract and the party making the promise signs the document.

In a sales contract, generally both parties are making a promise, so
generally both parties have to sign it. The seller is promising to
deliver a unit to the customer, and the customer is promising to pay for
  it.

In a non-disclosure contract, the person signing the non-disclosure
contract is promising not to disclose any information that is covered by
the non-disclosure contract. The contract itself cannot be kept secret.

So, from this, I can only assume that you signed some document with kiss
to make this "promise". Digital signatures in emails is enough for that.

There is a concept of a verbal contract, but generally all verbal
contracts are next to impossible to enforce unless the conversation is
recorded.

Even with signatures, there are legal reasons why one party might not
have to keep the promise. e.g. Contracts deemed to be unfair.

It is not my feelings, but it seems to me that you have made promises
that other people in the mplayer group disagree with. It might help
those people if you published the exact wording of the promises you have
made.

Your Sincerely

James