[MPlayer-dev-eng] advanced deinterlacer

John Earl jwe21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 10 23:56:58 CET 2004

Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
> John Earl wrote:
>> Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>>> i tried all available deinterlacers on a tv show scene where a guy is
>>> heavily gesticulating - _all_ failed, more or less horribly.
>>> now i'm wondering, whether porting the "advanced motion detection"
>>> deinterlacer (that's how it's called in tvtime) from dscaler would help
>>> the situation, and how hard it would be to do so. any takers? :)
>>
>> Having taken a brief look at the various deinterlacers, am I right in
>> thinking none of them has any motion compensation? In which case a
>> port from dscaler of a motion-compensated method would definitely
>> improve matters.
>
> there is -vf kerndeint, at least in cvs.

Yes; but to me kerndeint looks like a mishmash of linear and nonlinear
filtering, not motion compensation. I will have a look at dscaler and
see what they are doing.

If I were going to roll my own, where's a good place to get blockwise
motion estimation code in the mencoder codebase? libavcodec/motion_est.c?