[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: KiSS of copyright

Moritz Muehlenhoff jmm at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Fri Mar 5 14:30:42 CET 2004

Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> 6. We should also discuss our compensation. I really doubt that a company
> will release it's propriate code without court order. More probably they
> will pay for copyright infringment. I don't think that we shold take money
> but some hardware and documentation (patent grants?) will be welcome.
>
> 7. We should see how other projects have defended their copyrights (e.g.
> XviD)
> what layers have they used and in what contract. As somebody said we may
> request donnotation from our users. But first we should know how much money
> we will need.

Harald Welte and the rest of the netfilter team have settled two out-of-court
agreements with Allnet and Fujitsu-Siemens, which both provided netfilter
based appliances without releasing code. They do so now and donate money to
the FSF Europe, FFII (the guys fighting software patents) and to the "Linux
Kongress". You should really talk to Harald Welte, the core developer of
netfilter.

Cheers,
        Moritz