[MPlayer-dev-eng] Recommend error for bad dimensions

Zoltan Hidvegi mplayer at hzoli.2y.net
Tue Mar 2 02:25:05 CET 2004

> Would anyone object if I modify ve_lavc's config to FAIL by default if
> dimensions are not multiples of 16? There would be an option to
> override ("forcebadsize" maybe?) but IMO too many newbies refuse to
> RTFM and generate poor encodes (which some players won't even play) by
> choosing bad dimensions.

Well, this 16 limitation is not really spelled out in the docs.  Only
DOCS/tech/encoding-tips.txt mentions it and even there it is not clear
how important it is to keep the dimensions a multiple of 16.  I do not
really care about other players, I only care about quality and size.
E.g., the default 1080i HDTV resolution is not a multiple of 16.
Also, when encoding DVDs I prefer not to scale them, I just crop the
borders, so if I do not want to scale, is it better to leave it
uncropped?  Or it is better to crop it then epand it so that only two
edges have black borders?  What is the exact quality loss I would
have?  If I use v4mv, then is it OK to use multiple of 8 dimensions?

Zoli