[MPlayer-dev-eng] osx support

Donnie Smith xc0bead2d8130df59 at f4n.org
Sun Jun 27 17:07:30 CEST 2004

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 08:04:53 -0400, Nicolas Plourde wrote:
> Is SDL disabled? if yes its probably it. Im looking into that.
> anyway Investigate this and thanks for your report.
I think so too; mplayer never explicitly registers itself as a
Cocoa/Carbon application, but rather relies on SDL for this purpose,
from mplayer.c:
/*
 * In Mac OS X the SDL-lib is built upon Cocoa. The easiest way to
 * make it all work is to use the builtin SDL-bootstrap code, which
 * will be done automatically by replacing our main() if we include
 * SDL.h.
 */

The above "patch" (including SDL.h in mplayer.c) was done by me a
couple of years ago, when the only VO for OS X was SDL. Previously,
the windows (not surprisingly) behaved as described in the original
mail.

It'd be really nice if someone took the time to write a proper
bootstrap code for Mac OS X--shouldn't be that difficult, more an
issue of where to put it in the source--instead of relying on SDL's.
Another advantage of this would be that mplayer could launch it only
as required, preferably only when doing video out, since this is the
only GUI mplayer has, instead as of now on startup.

For example, currently typing "mplayer -h" forces mplayer to register
a Dock icon and so on, which takes unnecessary time and serves no
purpose what so ever, except as being a major annoyance when you have
several instances of mplayer launched.)