[MPlayer-dev-eng] new results & bugs report

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Jun 18 08:27:40 CEST 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:09:22 -0400
D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> OK, most people do it the other way because it's much faster...

Faster?  A whole second faster maybe, out of the 2+ hour encode
process...

> Most movies are very close to 4:3, 16:9, or 64:27 _after_ the crap is
> cropped off.

Well, that hasn't been my experince, but never mind that.  It's a minor
point.

> Making a proper dvd rip is not a mindless plug-and-chug operation.
> Video quality is a very subjective matter, and requires you to spend
> time testing and confirming that you're getting acceptable output. I
> don't see how having to know the aspect of your movie significantly
> increases the effort required.

DVD bitrates are so high already for standard-res material that it would
be hard to screw it up... Recording so that a file fits on a CD would be
a more appropriate case for needing to be reviewed, but even there you
can stick with a reasonable minimum bitrate and usually be okay.

So yes, I do think it's a plug and chug operation.