[MPlayer-dev-eng] new results & bugs report

Romain Dolbeau dolbeau at irisa.fr
Tue Jun 15 13:06:57 CEST 2004

Loren Merritt wrote:

> MPEG-4 always works in 16x16 macroblocks (and 8x8 lumablocks). If your
> video is not a multiple of the block size, then the partial blocks will
> be padded with black.
[snip nice explanations of all the bad things that can happen]

> It's only useful if you plan to encode that way. If we all use mod16
> sizes, then it's better to test lavc options using mod16 samples, and
> extrapolate the other way.

Well, my problem was finding width & height with the proper
aspect ratio, and also big enough to look good (details) and
small enough to look good (not wasting bits encoding too many
pixels). As I didn't kno about the 16x16 stuff, I erred.
But I see the errors of my way now :-)

Thanks a lot for the explanation,

--
Romain Dolbeau