[MPlayer-dev-eng] Ac3 streams detected as LPCM or SPU in TS

MichaelM lordvader at swiftdsl.com.au
Tue Jun 15 20:11:16 CEST 2004

I've noticed that with a verbose dump of dvbscan, pmt information is
available, with a pmt for each service offered. How is it that some
cards offer pmt through mplayer, yet others (such as mine ...) cannot,
despite the fact that its available?

Since dvbscan can find the pmt's pid, is there harm in using a similar
approach in mplayer (or even xine)? A quick read through the code shows
that there's no place for the pmt pid in the dvb input, only the ts
demuxer makes any reference to the pmt. Also, I'd imagine scanning for
the pmt would be somewhat slow.

Most of the networks i've found follow a similar pattern for the pmt_pid
(ranging from 0x0100 -> 0x0101 etc), with one network not following the
trend.

Just for the hell of it, could I hardcode the pmt_pid in mplayer, just
to see if it works? My qualm would be where to hardcode, and will it be
futile if by the time the stream reaches the demuxer, there is no pmt
(streams caught with dvbstream don't seem to have pmt).