[MPlayer-dev-eng] Announce of Movieconvert

nix.wie.weg at gmx.de nix.wie.weg at gmx.de
Mon Jun 14 02:32:16 CEST 2004

Diego Biurrun wrote:

>nix.wie.weg at gmx.de writes:
>

>Nice, I've added it to our projects page.

Thanks.

>>D) please dont use combined Options
>>For instance do not use crop=width:height:x:y use instead
>>crop_w=width,crop_h=height,crop_x=x,crop_y=y the second version you can
>>generate from GUI components automatically, for using the first version
>>you have to write a special function which will deal with this format.
>>
>>E) please sort the mplayer options
>>For instance you do an -vf scale=width:height -sws 1 why not -vf
>>scale_w=width,scale_h=height,sws=1 or why is -ofps not a lavc or xvid
>>option (it will be ignored if "-ovc copy" is selected) and why do you
>>have different seperators in -lavcopts and in -vf (":" or ",")?
>>

>You are mixing up options, suboptions/parameters and filters.
>
>  -vf scale_w=width,scale_h=height,sws=1
>
>would build up a filter chain, calling first the "scale_w" filter with
>"width" as parameter, then the "scale_h" filter with height as
>parameter and finally the sws filter with "1" as parameter.  Thus
>
>  -vf crop_w=width,crop_h=height,crop_x=x,crop_y=y
>
>would call four filters with one argument, while
>
>  -vf crop=width:height:x:y
>
>calls one filter with four arguments.

Ok maybe I was not clear enough:
First we define everything starting with an "-" is an option and can
have suboptions and second we have filter. So my problems still remain:

1. Why are such things like -sws or -ofps options? They should be
suboptions.
2. Why are filter seperated by ",", while suboptions are seperated by ":"
3. You maybe right with your argument, that my written filter syntax
would call 4 different filter, but that wasn't the point. Maybe the
Syntax should be more like this -vf
crop_w=width:crop_h=height:crop_x=x:crop_y=y;scale_w=width:scale_h=height;...
(note the ";" between crop and scale options)
The advantage is simply that the second syntax can be generated, while
the syntax which is used now can not, which means you have to write one
function (or one if clause) per filter/option/suboption ...