[MPlayer-dev-eng] Announce of Movieconvert

nix.wie.weg at gmx.de nix.wie.weg at gmx.de
Sun Jun 13 23:49:25 CEST 2004

Hello,

I have developed a graphical frontend for mencoder, which is named
movieconvert. You can find the homepage and the cvs sources at
http://movieconvert.sourceforge.net

The software should be considered as highly unstable and in pre-alpha
state. Nonetheless it is already possible to use the application.

Why do I announce software in such an early stage on this list? Because
I need help with some bugs I encountered with mplayer or mencoder. I see
my field of activity in getting movieconvert stable, but it seems that
some bugs in mplayer have to be fixed until I can fulfil this task and
it would be nice if they could be fixed by someone else.
I have 3 categories of bugs:

1. release-critical (not fixed, it will be difficult to release
movieconvert)
2. very nice to have (it would bring some elementary functions to
movieconvert)
3. feature requests

The two release-critical are:

A) mplayer -identify doesn't always deliver correct video bitrate values
These bitrate values are essential for movieconvert because they are
needed for all size calculations. There seems to be different cases of
this error. On *.vob files or DVD's the bitrate value seems to be too
high (maybe it is exactly twice as high as it should be). This confuses
even gmplayer. On other files like for instance
http://pdl3.warnerbros.com/thematrix/us/med/trailer_final_1000_dl.zip
you get an bitrate of zero.

B) mplayer -vo png|jpeg seems to be broken
Sometimes there are no images generated and you do not get a error
message. In most cases you can find a way to work around this problem in
changing the codec order with "-vfm", but this try and error method is
not usable for automatic processing by movieconvert.

One very nice to have feature:

C) mplayer seeking is very unreliable
I have implemented the possibility of cutting the video by determining
start and end of video graphical. For this task I use the "mplayer
-slave -xid" features. But seeking is much too unreliable. Sometimes it
differs over 3000 seconds (mainly on mpeg1 Videos). I tried very hard to
find a workaround for this, but I failed. It would be very very very
nice if you would have a "-slave" command "seekandstop TIME" and you
could be absolutly sure that the picture which you see after this
command on the x11 window shows you the video at that point of time.

And finaly two feature requests:

D) please dont use combined Options
For instance do not use crop=width:height:x:y use instead
crop_w=width,crop_h=height,crop_x=x,crop_y=y the second version you can
generate from GUI components automatically, for using the first version
you have to write a special function which will deal with this format.

E) please sort the mplayer options
For instance you do an -vf scale=width:height -sws 1 why not -vf
scale_w=width,scale_h=height,sws=1 or why is -ofps not a lavc or xvid
option (it will be ignored if "-ovc copy" is selected) and why do you
have different seperators in -lavcopts and in -vf (":" or ",")?

But hey anyway all of you have done a great job - thanks for this. If I
have listed some bugs here, I didn't want to criticize your work, I try
only to make mplayer even better and easier to use.

Tino!