[MPlayer-dev-eng] I've got a dvd that confuses mplayer...

Richard Harman mplayer-dev-eng at richardharman.com
Sat Jun 5 22:25:39 CEST 2004

Hi, I went looking for help on irc on freenode, and DonDiego suggested I fire
off an email here.

I've got a dvd that causes problems with mplayer's chapter selection code.
I'm not a developer so I can't really say exactly the problem is, but I'm
willing to get a copy of this dvd and donate it to a developer to help get
mplayer playing this dvd correctly.

Basically, I ran into this problem because I'm trying to back up this dvd to
divx/ogm.  I've had 3 dvd magically go "bad" on me, so I'm just trying to make
sure I don't have to replace another dvd /yet again/.

Symptoms:

mplayer dvd://3 -chapter 1-[something greater than 1] plays, but has no idea
where it is in the movie,
and shows no progress meter in the OSD.  It also stops at an incorrect point
in the movie.

mplayer dvd://3 -chapter 2-2 doesn't even work at all.  It says "There are 9
chapters in this DVD title" ... "DVD successfully opened.", a couple of
newlines, and then "Exiting.... (End of file)".  No video or audio is played.

mplayer dvd://3 works just fine, and shows the progress meter in the OSD.

So who's an anime fan?  Anybody like Roruni Kenshin?  The disc is disc 2
region 1 (like that matters anyway) of the 22 disc series.  Who wants it? (no
fighting please ;)

Thanks!

"Looks like there'll be no money for you, Crazy Round Man."
                                             - Samurai Jack
Richard G Harman Jr           <me+nospam at richardharman.com>