[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Re: will there be further development formatroxg450 cards?

justin case justin_case at gmx.net
Fri Jun 4 16:58:02 CEST 2004

> The way you get around it is the same as on the g400: don't use it!
> Instead use the accelerated fb0 and map it to the tv.

That doesn't work on G450/G550. Only CRTC2 can drive the (integrated) TV
encoder. Also the G450/G550 TV encoder is more limited than the G400's
maven chip (no scaling/filtering). I think they are both based on Zoran
CVE2 core.

thx. for clearing that up.

> > what i actually read was that matrox had once given out specs for the
g400
> > and so tv-out became possible with that card, but the g450 works a bit
> > different internally and matrox all of a sudden refused to help with
specs
> > for that card.
>
> This is basically true but I don't think it matters for our particular
> situation. However I've never used a g450 so I can't be sure.

The G400 specs don't include information on TV-out.

the more i learn about matrox cards, the more i wonder why commonly most
people are so delighted about these cards. trusting the "best supported card
under linux" i went and bought a g450 mms and 4 g450 cards and i am not so
delighted, really.
matrox itself doesn't bother to actually develop linux-drivers that provide
all the possible features and keeps the specs in their drawers. technically
very nice cards, though.

..but all in all i still don't know if any future development might take
place to enable tv-out.

/jc