[MPlayer-dev-eng] multiple instances and window-resizing

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Jul 31 05:16:06 CEST 2004

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 05:46:01PM -0400, Anthony DiSante wrote:
> I'm running mplayer 1.0pre4-3.3.2 on Gentoo Linux, kernel 2.6.3.  I have
> two problems that are probably RFEs rather than bugs, so I thought the dev
> list would be the right place to ask.
>
> First, if I launch gmplayer by double-clicking a video file in my file
> manager, then gmplayer stays open when the video finishes.  However, if I
> then try to view another video file, a second instance of gmplayer is
> started, and gives an error because the first instance still has the video
> device locked.  So, my request is, could gmplayer be made to use an
> existing instance if it exists, rather than starting a second?  And/or,
> could it be made to exit when a video finishes, or at least release the
> video device?

Theoreticaly yes, ie by disabling xv (i assume you are using xv as you
didnt gave enough information) on pause and rendering the current picture with
plain x11 so it would still be there. Then any other player could use
xv. A concurent use of two xv instances is not possible unless the
hardware and the driver (ie the one from XF86/X.org) supports it.

Practicaly it's too complicated and it's advantages dont justify it.

> Second, when a video finishes, the video window automatically resizes
> itself to display the mplayer splash screen or whatever it is.  I find
> windows that automatically move/resize themselves to be obnoxious, and I
> don't think I'm alone there.  Could an option be added to disable this
> behavior?

Maybe, send patch.

			Attila Kinali