[MPlayer-dev-eng] patches.txt - short review

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Jul 31 16:27:32 CEST 2004

Hi,

I just had a look at the current incarnation of patches.txt and found
a few details that should be written differently:

8:
>Try to avoid uploading the patch to a web or FTP site, send it directly
>to the mailing list. The fewer steps it takes us to get at the patch the
>higher the likelihood for it to get reviewed and applied. If your patch
>is so big you cannot send it by mail, try splitting it into pieces.

I'd say that the "try to avoid" should be changed to
"do not". I also say that the last sentence should read
"try splitting it into smaller pieces"

9:
>If your patch seems to be ignored,
>please resend it and mention that you got ignored.

Resends should actualy never happen. Anyone who really cares
about this list has a private mail archive and can look for patches.
A better aproach would be to send a reminder and ask for opinions about
the patch _in_reply_to_the_patch_. The in reply to part is the most
important here. Discussions about patches should be kept together in one
thread so a "scrollback" can be easily performed. And it's especialy for
me very annoying to read 100s of mails just to find out that an earlier
patch was discussed again.
Also new versions of a patch should be send as a reply to the previous
thread.

		Attila Kinali