[MPlayer-dev-eng] [REQUEST] DivX Pro 5.2 DLL (divxdec.ax) inMPlayer?

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Thu Jul 22 14:03:03 CEST 2004

I'm sorry to say it, but this is not the right maillist to make
request. And we are not eager to educate newbies like you.

I can assure you that we track carefuly every video related events.
And we have enough knowadge not to fall pray of the Comersial Advertice.

As somebody already told you, DivX5 codecs incorporate postprocessing
inside them. On anoter side MPlayer makes postprocessing with separate
plugins, that you should add. I can assure you that there is an "simple
postprocess" filter that can make even the most crappy mpeg1 file nearly
watchable. You may need something like 4GHz CPU to use it at its maximum
strength.

The DivX Pro codecs are encoder codecs, all DivX5 codecs have nearly same
decoders. As we don't support win32 ENcoders, there is no sense of supporting
and DivX5.2 Pro.

The DivXNetowrks are good enough to provide native Linux codec, and I think
that it is the already mensioned DivX5.02 . It doesn't support
any of the advanced encoding fetures of DivX5, it have not been updated
for quite long time (haven't check recently).

As encoder DivX 5.2 Pro is still catching up the XviD 1.0 codec, and as
XviD 1.0 is opensource, we have much better support for native XviD.

Of cource MPlayer default codec is lavcodec (from FFMpeg project).
Quite of the nice new XviD 1.0 encoding features (e.g. trellis) are
originated from it.
And XviD people are using it as milestone for testing mpeg-4 compability.
I guess DivX people do the same.
Did I said it is the fasted decoder in the world?

BTW if you know ffdshow, you should know that the "ff" comes from FFMpeg name.
And the ffdshow contains some of the MPlayer code too.

If you have more questions, i highly recomend you to ask in mplayer-users
maillist, or in #mplayer channel irc.FreeNode.net

Wish You Best
   Ivan Kalvachev
  iive