[MPlayer-dev-eng] Strange XV behavior

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Tue Jul 20 21:00:59 CEST 2004

Hello,

I'm having weird issues with XV.  I never noticed them until I started
trying to get tv-out to work under linux.  To do so, I changed my XFree
resolution to 800x600 (used to be 1280x768.)

Suddenly, all my divx movies are doing strange scaling things.  For
example, with a 480x360 divx movie:

mplayer -vo x11 # 480x360 window, picture correct
mplayer -vo xv  # 480x360 window, picture cut off at the bottom
mplayer -vo xv -vf expand=480:472,scale=480:360,dsize=4/3 # all correct

The same thing happens with a 640x480 divx, only I then have to use
expand=640:604,scale=640:480,dsize=4/3 for those.

I should never have to use expand to see the whole picture...

I dug around in the source of vo_xv and found nothing that looked like
a good reason for this.

I'm guessing it's specific to my setup somehow.  If this happened to
everyone, I'm sure there'd be howling.  Any suggestions?

Standard info for my system:
Lifebook P2120
Crusoe proc
Radeon Mobility video card
Arch Linux distro
XFree86 4.4.0 with 'ati' and 'radeon' drivers
latest CVS MPlayer with xv & libavcodec compiled in

When I run XFree at the full resolution of my laptop's LCD again
(1280x768) then these problems go away.  Is this XV or XFree's fault?

Thanks,
--Joey

--
"I can read it better than you can read it with your eyes closed." --Gu