[MPlayer-dev-eng] kiss-technology

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 9 14:10:22 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 11:55:38PM +0200, toffe wrote:
>
>>I saw this on the KISS (my ass) site but maybe they not comply with gpl
>>anyhow? http://kiss-technology.com/?p=gnu&v=users
>

> this is irrelevant, it's just the linux source and whatnot. the stolen
> code is part of mplayer, which they don't even acknowledge taking,
> much less provide their modified sources.
>
> rich

Could someone from the mplayer team maybe do a write up of what
happened, detailing where they think they went wrong etc.
This might help make for more successful cases in future by learning
from mistakes etc., not only for mplayer, but also other open GPL
projects. Particularly helpful would be noting legal technicalities that
one has to be careful to avoid etc.

I tried to subscribe to the mplayer-legal list, but did not have any
luck there.

James