[MPlayer-dev-eng] Suggestion/question about the "MPlayer name change"

ANDREAS SETTERLIND setterlind at usa.net
Fri Jul 9 12:41:08 CEST 2004

Hi MPlayer-Team,

I have a question or maybe it's more of a suggestion about the MPlayer name
change from "MPlayer - The Movie Player for Linux" to "MPlayer - The Movie
Player".

This question/suggestion is; before people get used to the new name why not
change it again to "MPlayer - The Media Player" instead? (or alternatively
"MPlayer - The Multimedia Player"?), I mean even though MPlayer was foremost
designed by it's initial creators/devs to work best as a movie/video player it
has developed since then and now plays most pure audio files (like .MP3, .AAC,
.FLAC, etc.) very well too, so why not simple call it a
media/multimedia-player like it is instead of 'just' a movie player?

my 2 cents ;-)

PS! Maybe if you make the name-change from "Movie" to "Media" more developers
will see it as such and keep enhancing/extending that part of MPlayer too,
...maybe set a long-term goal to be better than Foobar2000 on that area =D

keep up the great work, best regards / Andreas
(I'm just a humble and grateful MPlayer user)