[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer, Alsa 0.9.x using 4 channels -> 100% cpu usage while playing a mp3 file

Thomas Zangl - Mobil mobil at tzi.dhs.org
Mon Jan 26 16:49:38 CET 2004

Hi,

I´ve a problem with MPlayer since 0.9x up to the latest releases. I try
to play a mp3 file:

mplayer -ao alsa9 <mymp3>

it works fine, CPU usage is below 1%.

I try it this way:

mplayer -ao alsa9:surround40 -channels 4 <mymp3>

MPlayer uses 100% CPU. Quite a lot for decoding only a mp3 file?!

If I play a DivX or XviD with a mp3 soundtrack with the same parameters
like the 2nd commandline it works like a charm only using around 30%CPU.

My box is an Athlon XP 1600+, latest ALSA 0.9.8.x, Mplayer 1.0pre2 (same
behavior with pre3), I didn´t tried CVS as I didn´t see any changes in CVS
in the ALSA code. My soundcard is a SBLive! Value Edition and I use ALSA´s
emu10k1 driver.

Any ideas why ALSA 4 Channel output uses 100% CPU ?