[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer name change

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Jan 23 21:42:59 CET 2004

Arpi writes:
 > Anyway i can't see why should we change its name at all.
 > What's the problem with the current one?

The idea came to me when I updated the copyright date in the
mplayer.rc (Windows resource) file.  It says

  VALUE "FileDescription", "MPlayer - Movie Player for Linux\000"

which is obviously quite nonsensical on Windows.

So the name change should just give credit to the fact that we have
come a long way since the beginning in terms of portability and
portability is an important goal for MPlayer.  We do after all take
pride in running on so many platforms.

 > All others - including bsd - are only ports.

Sure they are only ports, but they account for an important portion of
our userbase.  One of MPlayer's main advantages over other players is
its portability.

Besides, the Windows version's popularity is on the rise and could
easily eclipse the Linux user base if some basic GUI is added.

 > So, i'm against name change.

What shall we do then?  All but you and Gabu where in favor of the
name change, however I think you and Alex should sort this out.  You
are the original author, he is the maintainer.  The problem is,
however, that you are against and Alex is in favor of the change.  One
of you will have to back down, since compromising is quite difficult
in this matter.

I have given my arguments for the name change above.  Another point is
a PR thing.  Removing the Linux from the name shows our commitment to
portability while setting our goals a little bit higher also.  "The
Movie Player" implies being the best and that is what we are trying to
do, but not just for the Linux world.  We want to be better than any
player on any platform, don't we?

Diego