[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage

Shan sweber at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Jan 21 11:46:42 CET 2004

Hi D Richard Felker III on 01/21/2004 00:01:36 Zulu the following was
relayed:

> Stupid Mac kids. Some of us want simplicity and functionality, not
> hundreds of megabytes and megahertz wasted on stupid gui animations.
> The Mac gui plain sucks (all versions). Any competent user would take
> X with a nice simple window manager over that any day.

If you had any real experience with a large variety of graphic
environments you would know how fast and functional the original
QuickDraw was.  And if you knew me you would know that I haven't liked
Apple for having a chunky desktop "Finder" environment, no shell based
command line for simple UI programs, clunky networking (of which Open
Transport was a very marginal improvement) and an overly verbose file
system.  Add to that Apple relied on a co-operative memory management
approach with the vain hope that add-on developer code would behave
themselves.

That said Apple's main successful achievements have been QuickDraw (2D
graphics), Text Services (fontography) and QuickTime (time-based
multimedia).  Of which QuickDraw was dumped in favour of the clunky and
slower PDF base Quartz.

And don't get me started on what I think of the impractical latest
Apple hardware!  The only reason I went with Apple is only because I am
loathed to support and use anything based on crap Intel technology!

Hi Adam Rice on 01/21/2004 00:01:36 Zulu the following was relayed:

> Do you have evidence to support this? It seems unlikely, as the X
> Window
> System and MS Windows both suck in completely different ways. Nowadays
> Mac OS,
> Windows and most X desktops bear a sort of loose family resemblance,
> like
> people who've had too much plastic surgery, but if you compare an old
> Athena/twm X desktop with an MS Windows 3.1 desktop, they have
> virtually
> nothing in common.

True but I was only comparing them to the only one I've ever liked
which was Apple's QuickDraw based Window Manager.

Shan