[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage

Adam Rice adamrice at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 20 23:37:12 CET 2004

Quoting Shan (sweber at slingshot.co.nz):
>          And yes I know M$ copied the windowing environment from X11
> and their desktop environment from the Mac.

Do you have evidence to support this? It seems unlikely, as the X Window
System and MS Windows both suck in completely different ways. Nowadays Mac OS,
Windows and most X desktops bear a sort of loose family resemblance, like
people who've had too much plastic surgery, but if you compare an old
Athena/twm X desktop with an MS Windows 3.1 desktop, they have virtually
nothing in common.

when my applications don't look like ass. Running old Motif applications makes
me almost physically nauseous nowadays. Anyone who's ever had to suffer
watching their parents try to send email will appreciate the need for
idiot-proof GUIs. I think animation has an important and under-appreciated
role in visually linking cause-and-effect, and hence improving usability for
people who find computers bewildering.

So while I have little time for people who think Apple can do no wrong, I feel
the company has an important role to play in pushing computer usabilty and
aesthetics forward.

Adam

--
Adam Rice -- adamrice at ntlworld.com -- Blackburn, Lancashire, England