[MPlayer-dev-eng] --enable-svga

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Tue Jan 20 02:29:38 CET 2004

* Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> [2003-12-31 16:06:17 +0100]:

<snip>
> I agree that --force is more intuitive than --enable and I would actually
> support such a change, but it is disruptive and backwards incompatible
> unless you add the same options twice.  Why not do it for G2 then?

Well we could simply introduce a new command (lets say: build-config),
which implements the new scheme. The "good old" ./configure will just
be a wrapper for compatibility, which calls ./build-config with
appropriate parameters.

<snip>
> But --enable for autodetection is not intuitive either.  Besides having a
> switch for autodetection is missing the point anyway.  If you are supplying
> a build option you do not want autodetection.
Not really.

Perhaps you may want to find out, whether your system _could_ support
this feature. A separate autodetect routine which prints out possible
configurations would be better anyway.

Okay, this breaks the case which may be common for many users:

"build evrything you can, but with some modifications".
For that case we could introduce a option like "--autodetect", which
tells the buildsystem to autodetect evrythin not mentioned separately.
Or perhaps the opposite: --no-autodetect ?

> Anyway, I am going to add a few lines 'configure --help' that explain how
> configure works.  Maybe that helps clear up the constant confusion.
Yes, would be okay, if this would be machine readable, so a build robot
could find out the things required (please refer to my other recent postings).

<snip>
> I think that there is a consensus among the developers that having a
> possibility to force options avoiding autodetection is a good idea.
ACK.

Trust is okay, control is better.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481