[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage

Romain Dolbeau dolbeau at irisa.fr
Mon Jan 19 18:33:55 CET 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

>>Wrong. QuickTime is also required to display YUV image
>>in an overlay, and that's exactly what every media
>>player on macosx does, including mapleyr and vlc.
>
> Can you verify this?

Of course. Both of them (mplayer through SDL) use
"DecompressSequenceFrameS", a function found
in the QuickTime header ImageCompression.h.
Relevant source files are "SDL_QuartzYUV.m"
for SDL and "vout.m" for VLC (it's objective-C
code). Of course there's a lot of other functions
called :-)

> No, it's your misconception. What you're saying is analogous to saying
> "Windows browses the web". It doesn't, Internet Explorer does.
> Bundling unrelated functionality together and calling it the same
> thing is a lame marketing ploy, nothing more.

Something like 10 or 15 years ago, (more likely
10 but it's less impressive to just say 10 :-)
when Apple first released QuickTime, they thought
that, somehow, decompressing and displaying still
pictures and movies *was* related. Many people,
including me, think that they were right, and still
are. For most people, the *point* of decompressing
an image is to *display* it. Transcoding isn't
the main use of media player and libraries, no
matter how many dvd get ripped.

Unlike your example, there *never* was 2 different
components that got "merged".

--
Romain Dolbeau