[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage

Romain Dolbeau dolbeau at irisa.fr
Mon Jan 19 13:55:08 CET 2004

Billy Biggs wrote:

>   So that sure sounds like a system library for this use.

For all use. You can't remove QuickTime from MacOSX
anymore than you can remove libc6 from Debian GNU/Linux.

Well, you can, but then it's sort of crippled...

 > Do you
> understand now why you can't turn mplayer into a codec?

I don't want to. Somebody else want. And to my eyes,
whether the GPL allows it or not is irrelevant if
it goes contraty to the author's wishes. A lawyer
may argue that the license is what matters, *I*
think the *developer* is what matters.

Doesn't mean I won't argue about what QuickTime
really is, that's the old teaching spirit that has
been in my family for most of the last century :-)

Arguying about what the GPL allows or not is just
good old-fashioned *nitpicking*. If the authors don't
want mplayer/ffmpeg turned into a QuickTime component,
well, that's it. The GPL is just there to simplify
the hobbyist life, (s)he doesn't have to came up
with her/his own licence, and it usually works
well enough. I love to nitpick.

<troll>
And I still think it's OK WRT the GPL :-)
</troll>

--
Romain Dolbeau