[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage

Billy Biggs vektor at dumbterm.net
Mon Jan 19 13:33:45 CET 2004

The Wanderer (inverseparadox at comcast.net):

> As far as I understand it (without having reat the relevant FAQ, or
> the GPL itself in years, or anything relevant recently except this
> discussion), in not-rigidly-precise terms:
>
> If a program whose source code is released under the GPL makes use of
> a program whose source code is not released under the GPL, this does
> not violate the GPL.

  This is false, in order to do this, you need to add an exemption
clause to the GPL.  You can do this for your own code, but you cannot
take someone elses' GPL'ed code (say, libmpeg2) and add an exemption
clause to it for them.  Each author must do it.

  Do you remember back before Qt was GPL'ed and you could not add KDE
front-ends to GPL'ed programs?  Same thing.

  See:

  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs
  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#FSWithNFLibs

  Thanks for not reading any relevant FAQs or anything, it's really
helped this discussion move forward,

  -Billy