[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Jan 19 04:32:52 CET 2004

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 08:28:29PM -0600, Billy Biggs wrote:
> Chris Zubrzycki (beren at mac.com):

> > >  Why does mplayer link to QuickTime on OS X?
> >
> > Because it's the system graphics library. It links with the QuickTime
> > library, not with the Quicktime program itself, just as it links with
> > the other system libraries.  [...]
>
>   Does mplayer have to use QuickTime to display video on the screen?  If
> so, and that's all mplayer does with it, then it's a system library
> according to the GPL and so it's exempt.

MPlayer doesn't even have OSX display code. Maybe SDL uses
"QuickTime", but that's still misleading since QuickTime (the nasty
codec framework) and "QuickTime" (the overlay api) have nothing in
common except the name.

Lately OSX users have been so rude and annoying that I think maybe we
should just omit OSX support entirely in G2 (we're removing SDL anyway
so we'd have to add our own "QuickTime" support if we wanted it...).

Rich