[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Common Opensource codec API

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Jan 16 18:50:53 CET 2004

Attila Kinali writes:
 > On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:37:52 +0100
 > Enrico Weigelt <weigelt at metux.de> wrote:
 > > So such an 'open' funding for opensource projects could be interesting:
 > > Many people may offer donation for a specific job. And if there's enough
 > > money in the pot, someone will do the job and getting the money.
 > > We also have some experiences with this in some medical forums.
 >
 > You are not the first one proposing such a system, there were
 > already 2 big ones about 2 year ago trying something like this.
 > They both failed, because they ignored how OSS development
 > works: Just for fun.
 > Hardly anyone will pick up one of those "jobs" as they are
 > not fun enough. And those which are fun are done anyways.

Disagree.  Pay me some money, I'll gladly write you some docs on
program XYZ, even better if it is OSS/FS.  Development is not done
just for fun, remember that Pontscho was paid for much of the GUI
work.  Besides Arpi wrote a lot of documentation, although he does not
consider it fun at all.

Money is a means to have fun.  I believe it greatly increases your
incentive to do things you do not consider (much) fun.

Diego