[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage (Modifié par Jérôme Cornet)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jan 14 20:29:03 CET 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 08:01:01PM +0100, Jérôme Cornet wrote:
> Le 14 janv. 2004, à 18:12, D Richard Felker III a écrit :
> >
> >No, QuickTime certainly does not meet this exemption. The exemption is
> >for when the GPL program needs to use the OS libraries to utilize and
> >run on the underlying system, NOT so the underlying system can use the
> >GPL program as one of its components.
>
> Dishonesty is endless...
>
> Samba, Apache, Cups are key components of MacOS X. They are GPL but
> distributed and used with MacOS X which not released under GPL.

No they're not. They're daemons which run on MacOSX.

> >Besides, QuickTime is a movie
> >player, not part of the OS.
>
> That statement proves you don't know about what you are talking.
> From version 1.0 to 6.5, QuickTime is system library, not a movie
> player.
> Under MacOS X, it is located at
> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework.
> The movie player is a separate app, called "QuickTime Player", located
> at /Applications/QuickTime Player.app. You could use a completly
> different application
> to play your movie and still be using QuickTime, if the app supports
> that.

It does not matter. GPL does not permit you to make QuickTime modules
out of GPL code.

> >Integrating apps with the OS install does
> >not let you work around the intent of the GPL.
>
> No, of course, but it is a gentle way to point out to that section of
> the GNU FAQ :
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLInProprietarySystem
>
> Maybe the Safari case did not inspire you : integrating khtml (GNU)
> into proprietary software,
> in the same binary...
> Here we are just talking about integrating GPL software (libmpdemux)
> into GPL software (FFusion)...

No, into the QuickTime framework, which is NON-FREE. This is not
acceptable. If you go forward with this project you will be flamed
badly in public, and possibly subject to legal action from MPlayer
developers, if it is feasible. So please drop it now.

Rich