[MPlayer-dev-eng] How can I reduce the size of mplayer?

Adam Rice adamrice at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 14 14:35:19 CET 2004

Quoting Gábor Lénárt (lgb at lgb.hu):
> libc is linked staticaly too?
> glibc2 is very large stuff, maybe you can try some "mini libc" projects
> instead ...

dietlibc seems pretty complete. For some simple tests I did, the statically
linked dietlibc binaries were smaller than the dynamically linked glibc ones
:-) I found glibc practically unusable for static linking. It compiles the
entire dynamic linker into everything. Having said that, porting a large
complex application like mplayer to dietlibc will inevitably involve some
pain. It's usually used for tiny applications on boot disks!

Adam

--
Adam Rice -- adamrice at ntlworld.com -- Blackburn, Lancashire, England