Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usag NO-SPAM e (Modifié par Jérôme Cornet)

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 11:47:39 CET 2004

Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
>> QuickTime itself is non-free. Making a derivative work of MPlayer
>> which is linked in as a component of non-free code (QuickTime) is
>> not permitted by the GPL, as far as I can tell. LGPL would be
>> required for something like this, and MPlayer is intentionally GPL
>> rather than LGPL. Whether you release source is irrelevant.
>
> This also means, that every time I view a file using a
> GPL-incompatible win32 codec with mplayer, I violate the GPL because
> mplayer gets dynamically linked to that dll, right?

Disclaimer: I know little about this subject, the following is merely my
off-the-cuff reaction.

The difference between the situations is that one involves non-GPL code
(QuickTime) linking in GPL code (libmpdemux), whereas the other involves
GPL code (MPlayer) linking in non-GPL code (the Win32 codec). I can
easily see the potential for a legal difference between these scenarios.

--
       The Wanderer