[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage (Modifié par Jérôme Cornet)

Curtis Magyar cumagyar at mts.net
Wed Jan 14 00:24:06 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 15:31, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> IMO the code in MPlayer is under GPL because it's only supposed to be
> used in free software, for the benefit of free software. As soon as
> someone uses it in QuickTime to make QuickTime not suck (as bad),
> proprietary software benefits and MPlayer gets no benefit. This sort
> of situation is what the GPL was designed to prevent.

Sorry to butt in, I find this topic very interesting.  I think this
question of the GPL FAQ speaks about your viewpoint as well:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MoneyGuzzlerInc

What would be the effect of allowing mplayer code to be used in
Quicktime?  Probably fewer Mac OS-X users for mplayer (free), and more
for Money Guzzler, I mean Quicktime (non-free) I would think.

Just my $0.02

--
Curtis Magyar