[MPlayer-dev-eng] Real 10

Roberto Togni r_togni at tiscali.it
Fri Jan 9 00:27:21 CET 2004

Hi all!

Found this message on xine-devel, so i performed some test

> Seems the guys over at Real have been busy:
>
> http://www.realnetworks.com/products/codecs/index.html (including
> some samples)
>
> Also:
>
> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=68245
>
> Of interest:
>
> RealVideo 10 - Seems to be improvements on the encoder side,
> backwards compatible with 9 (RV40)
> RealAudio 10 - 5.1 support using Cook, new lossless codec, also AAC
> in real files

All test with new codecs were done with dll from real player 10 beta
for win (i was too lazy to register on Helix site) (installation fails
in wine, but you can find everything uncompressed in /tmp !)

Video:
rv10 samples played ok with linux RV9 dll
BTW they included a single decoder for both RV8 and RV9 in realplayer10
(drvc.dll), so the two formats should be very similar.

Audio:
raac files fail with faad (simply added raac 4cc to faad, no other test
performed)
Trying to use raac.dll doesn't work: first i got an error because of
missing symbol (RASetFlavor), after removing the check MPlayer
segfaults in wraInitDecoder (Opencodec is successful).

5.1 file works ok if i replace our cook codec with cook.dll (tested on
a 2 speaker system). The codec reports realaudio 10. Didn't test it on
old cook files, but it have to be backward compatible.

raac files have audio section version 5 (ra5), but they have the first
fourcc as vbrs instead of the usual genr.

Streaming these files gives me two unknown rdt values at the end
(probably this is not specific of these files).

The lossless file doesn't even starts: MPlayer finds 3 unsupported
streams type, no audio and no video. There is no ra block in the file.

That's all for now.
Someone familiar with AAC please take a look at raac files, if it's AAC
it shouldn't be too hard to parse it to something faad can decode.

Ciao,
 Roberto