[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [xine-devel] Re: [gst-devel] Fwd: Re: [UCI-Devel] Re: Common Opensource codec API

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jan 2 23:25:21 CET 2004

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:18:06PM +0200, Tristan Seligmann wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 19:43:13 -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > drone who wrote such madness to an asylum". At the risk of getting
> > flamed, may I ask if the person who wrote this was a Matroska
> > developer?
>
> Out of interest, what IS a decent container format that has support for
> all of the "useful" stuff (multiple audio/vidio streams, subtitles,
> chapter information, etc.)? All of the containers I've looked at seem
> to have big problems here and there.

Yes and no. All the ones already in use have major problems. The
MPlayer developers created the new NUT container which overcomes all
those problems and which is super-simple and easy to implement, but
it's not deployed yet. MPlayer G2 will be the first player to have
full support for creating and playing NUT files, and we'll work to get
NUT support included in ffdshow too for windows users.

For a slightly outdated but mostly correct draft of NUT, see
DOCS/tech/mpcf.txt.

Rich