[MPlayer-dev-eng] some license/copyright issues

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jan 1 01:01:53 CET 2004

Hi,

> On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 11:52:03PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > Hi boys!
> >
> > In the wake of the Debian frustration du jour, I'm currently reviewing
> > some copyright statements in our source tree and extending the
> > Copyright file.  No, this is not about flaming, don't worry - or don't
> > get your hopes up.
> >

> > 1) At the top of libvo/vo_sdl.c there is the following statement in the
> > header of the file:
>
> This is incorrect. The only thing copied from mpeg2dec is that
> comment.

actually it's somehwo true... just like the only thing linux 2.6 has
from linux 0.01 is the comments...

originally libvo (the first ever libvo) was made for the OMS project.
when that project died (around when mplayer has born) that code was
copied/moved to mpeg2dec, a small test-app included with libmpeg2.
sinve my mpg12player v0.9 serie based on libmpeg2, and the mpg12play
series was only a demuxer, so the video out layer always came with the
codec (v0.1-0.3 had libmpeg3 with its x11 driver, v0.5--0.7 used
dvdview (c++ mess) with its x11 and mga outputs). so v0.9x had that
libvo, and since mplayer is based on (or better: inherited from)
mpg12play, it still ha sthat libvo.

but in reality, the libvo api changed a lot, and while some files
are there from the beginning (like vo_sdl, vo_x11, vo_md5, vo_pgm)
they were rewritten (or at least changed many times) since that.

i think we shouldnt remove those comments, actually without
oms/mpeg2dec mplayer wouldn't exists or even worse: use the crappy
dvdview code :)

for g2 we will rewrite libvo2 from scratch anyway, so all those
license issues will be solved. and libvo2 will eventually be
backported to g1, at elasy alex says so.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
Developer of MPlayer G2, the Movie Framework for all - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu