[MPlayer-dev-eng] ogg stream behaviour

Daniel Holth dholth at fastmail.fm
Sat Feb 21 09:41:01 CET 2004

mplayer developers,

I would like to improve mplayer's support for ogg/theora video and want
to know what the rules are for changing the video mode.

right now, mplayer doesn't know what to do when it receives an ogg page
with a new stream id #, after successfully and beautifully streaming a
particular set of stream id#s.  what it should do, is treat that page
onward as if it was opening a brand new ogg (theora, vorbis, flac)
stream.  instantiating new codecs and all.

but, the new data could have a very different audio samplerate+channels
or video size.  will it work?  how do I tell mplayer about the change?

when this improvement is done,

cat theora.ogg theora.ogg > theoras.ogg ; mplayer theoras.ogg

plays the video in theora.ogg twice;

cat theora1.ogg theora2.ogg theora3.ogg > many.ogg ; mplayer many.ogg

plays three different videos that are chained together in that single
many.ogg file.

more to the point, mplayer will become the newest, shiniest, onliest
iceast-video client.  at the moment mplayer quits after each separate
video in a stream of videos, and it has to be restarted to see the next
one.  hopefully we will have the prototype icecast soon.

thanks a heap,

Daniel Holth