[MPlayer-dev-eng] Ignoring errors on CDROMs

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Sat Feb 21 05:27:43 CET 2004

> > > I know that setting file_readahead on /proc/.../settings helps,
> > > but isn't there anything more that can be done in order to make
> > > mplayer behave similar to the hardware players?
> >
> > I'm quite sure there is, just noone wrote something like this for
> > mplayer :)
>
> What exactly could/should be done for this ?
> How does such an error correction work ?

It seems to work pretty OK for me on [S]VCD with mplayer on Linux, that
is, I get a pretty explosion of macroblocks in psychdelic colours on
heavy scratched areas :)
 I don't know how hardware players functions, never fed one a scratched
disc that I remember, although Playstation2 seems to think every other
disc is bad, and freeze for 5 minutes, then say the disc is bad. That's
probably not a hardware player, though.

I'm guessing the OP was refering to reading from Data cd's though... In
that case the drive is probably trying a few hundred re-reads of bad
sectors, and linux tries the whole thing again 8 times... Someone
discovered that there was a bug in the cdrom code somewhere too, which
meant that Linux would retry too many times, the guy projected reading
an entire scratched data cd to somewhere around a million years. That'd
be fixed in recent versions though, and now you can expect hours
instead of years, yay.

The best thing to do with damaged data cd's, would probably be to dd the
data from it to HD first...

Hm, would mplayer abort on read errors reported by the OS, or retry with
the next X bytes instead?