[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: --enable-svga

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Sat Feb 21 00:08:57 CET 2004

* Torinthiel <torinthiel at wp.pl> [2004-01-20 16:50:07 +0100]:

<snip>
> Enricko: Damn, if you're creating your own distro then you can always
> create a shell script or program that knows what the user has and based
> on some 'if's passes --(dis|en)able to configure. You probably are going
> to create it anyway IIRC what you've wanted your build system to be.

Well, I'm doing this, but thats not the problem.
See:

> And watching for new configure options is part of package maintaining,
> as was said before.  Nevertheless it's quite easy. Every change is mailed
> to -cvslog, so just (quoting intentional ;) man 5 procmailrc
No, thats suboptimal.
Better let machines do these stupid tasks.

If we had a machine readable description with available features then
the machine could find them out automatically. Also it could find out
(better: read from the description) which packages (perhaps which of
their features) are required for that.

Speaking turns from a-make'ish "support for library foo" to
"enable feature XYZ" (which perhaps then depends on libfoo).

<snip>
> Oh, and if you really want to know a list of options to enable/disable
> something than here it is. Machine-doable. Find first line with --help.
> Line below has an 'EOF' string in it. Now process everything from next
> line to a line with only EOF in it - grep for lines containing --. You
> have option, description and in [] the default setting. Simple
> grep/sed/awk should do.
This is okay, if the text structure remains the same for quite a long time.
I dont really trust in that.

<snip>
> But if you want dependencies then it's impossible. At least not with
> any system I know.
Well, then just invent something new - where's the problem ?

> IF you write your XML-based one and take some time to make configuration
It doenst have to be XML-based. Some plain text tables could be enough
for that job ...

> for MPlayer I think (cannot assure you, as I'm not a core developer) it
> will be tested and maybe, if it works everywhere where the current one
> works and is much easier to maintain MPlayer will be switched.
I hope so.
But some folks here have stated, that they'll refuse it nevertheless.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481