[MPlayer-dev-eng] violation of the GPL

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Thu Feb 19 15:07:56 CET 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 03:21:48AM -0600, Curtis Magyar wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 18:01, Gabucino wrote:
> > Joey Parrish wrote:
> > >  1) Do you (anyone) have a problem with my policy?
> > What patchsets? I thought MPlayer main cvs contains everything.
>
> http://armory.nicewarrior.org/projects/cygmp/patches-20031126/

Yes, there's a lot in my packages that is just unacceptable in main cvs.
For example, a patch that changes a lot of search paths to better suit
the installer environment I distribute binaries in.

> > >  2) Can I be in violation of the GPL if the creators don't care?
> > Of course.
>
> I'm sorry if my mail was taken as threatening in some way.  It wasn't
> intended to be.  I just thought I would discretely mention what I was
> lead to believe was required by the GPL to distribute modified binaries.

Now worries, Curtis.  I'm just starting this thread to ensure that
everyone (including lawyers) can be happy.

--Joey

--
"Of the seven dwarves, the only one who shaved was Dopey.
That should tell us something about the wisdom of shaving."