[MPlayer-dev-eng] violation of the GPL

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Thu Feb 19 00:24:26 CET 2004

Hello,

I got an email from someone recently informing me that I am violating
the GPL with concerns to MPlayer.

I don't distribute the full source on my cygwin MPlayer webpage, just
a patchset.  This is because I don't want to keep up lots of big source
archives that could get out of sync with MPlayer CVS.

Curtis Magyar says:
 "I don't think your note that the source is available from mplayerhq is
sufficient to satisfy your responsibility as far as the GPL is concerned."

And he sent me this link:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DistributingSourceIsInconvenient

My questions are:
 1) Do you (anyone) have a problem with my policy?
 2) Can I be in violation of the GPL if the creators don't care?

Thanks,
--Joey

--
All philosophy is naive.