[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] First release of dtsdec

Peter Niemayer niemayer at isg.de
Wed Feb 11 21:04:17 CET 2004

Arpi wrote:
> good news.

Great thing!

I hope the DTS support I contributed for mkvtoolnix (the Unix toolset
to create Matroska (.mkv) files) will be of more use to a greater audience
once the software DTS decoding it available to the public.

> Of course there is still much work to be done on dtsdec and a few things are
> still not implemented but it is nonetheless working quite well on all the
> samples I could get my hand on (not a lot though, I have to admit).

Can you name some special kinds of samples you are missing?

> VLC media player also becomes the first Open Source application able to play
> DTS audio. You can find pre-compiled versions of VLC with DTS support over
> here: http://download.videolan.org/pub/testing/vlc-0.7.1-test1/

I used mplayer so far to replay DTS audio tracks, decoding in the amplifier, though.
Once libdtsdec is available in mplayer as well, I'd love to see it decode the
DTS tracks in .mkv files in software, too...

Cheers,

Peter Niemayer