[MPlayer-dev-eng] -lameopts: conflicting documentation and code?

Charles Wilcox willo at wpi.edu
Sun Feb 1 19:38:39 CET 2004

The man page and HTML documentation say that they q= value can be set from
0 to 9, the equivalent of the same option of Lame.  However, this is not
the case of what happens.  mencoder.c:986 has a line that adds one onto
the value specified before it is sent off to libmp3lame.  This is
complicated by the fact that cfg-mencoder.h:25 says that the input is
indeed in the 0 to 9 range.  Also, the code makes no effort to check to
see if the resulting value is 10, which is an incorrect value to pass on.

Considering all the docs imply this option should match up to what LAME
would normally take, could this possibly be a error in the code?  Taking a
cursory glance at the lame code in frontend/parse.c:1626, it does not alter
the value before it calls lame_set_VBR_q.

Sorry, I'm just learning how to use Mencoder, but I've used Lame
extensively, and this inconsistency confuses me.  Is there a reason it it
like this?  If so, there is no warning to those who'd assume that the VBR
quality numbers mean the same thing.  (That, and it just doesn't make any
sense to me.)  If this is a mistake... wow, I guess not many people
specify -lameopts to have caught this.

 -- Charles Wilcox

I'm using the source of MPlayer-1.0pre3, and lame-3.95.1.