[MPlayer-dev-eng] Correcting printf to mp_msg

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 03:29:30 CET 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:01:13PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> D Richard Felker III wrote:

>>> It should have already been done with lavc (changing printf to
>>> av_log). If there are left-over printf's, they should be changed
>>> asap. MPlayer should implement av_log with a call to mp_msg at
>>> the appropriate level(s).
>>
>> The trouble with this is that some people, myself included,
>> routinely update libavcodec from its CVS and use the result to
>> replace the libavcodec directory under the MPlayer source tree -
>> meaning that any correction of the printf()s to av_log()s would be
>> lost. I'd rather see the corrections made in libavcodec CVS, which
>> I suppose I could do, but I'd have to subscribe to their mailing
>> list and get the OK there... and I'm shy.
>
> Huh? Apparently you don't understand CVS.

This is possible.

> Just copy the libavcodec tree from ffmpeg cvs under the main mplayer
> dir, and "cvs update" will automatically update it, keeping your
> changes. Removing it and replacing it with a new copy from somewhere
> else every time makes absolutely no sense.

I don't remove it, I just copy over top. I wasn't aware that MPlayer CVS
knew enough to include the libavcodec directory in what was updated,
since it wasn't part of what was checked out; apparently I've been
wasting time and bandwidth for some while now...

(I also don't think this would have worked before libavcodec CVS was on
the same server as MPlayer CVS, which was the case when I started
updating both daily. The habit stuck.)

> Anyway, if you make the patch for libavcodec, I'll apply it.

Will do, albeit probably not immediately - it's part of the queue.

>> What MSGL_ should FIXME_MESSAGE_LEVEL (or MSGL_FIXME?) be
>> equivalent to? 5 (STATUS, verbose level 0), because that's the
>> level at which they would be output if left unchanged? Or should
>> there be a complete set of FIXME defines, one for each message
>> level, for versatility?
>>
>> The latter feels like going overboard, but otherwise I can't
>> specify different message levels without hiding from later review
>> the fact that the level was chosen by someone who doesn't
>> necessarily know what he's talking about.
>
> You could even just add //FIXME to the end of the line and use normal
>  MSGL's, but that might not be as clear/noticable for people wanting
> to fix the levels in the future. IMO a single MSGL_FIXME is fine
> though.

I'd arrived at that conclusion after writing, but it's good to have it
confirmed. So, #define MSGL_FIXME 4 (INFO), or #define MSGL_FIXME 5
(STATUS)?

--
       The Wanderer