[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer as O'reilly Project of the Week

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Dec 7 01:03:42 CET 2004

Steve Mallett writes:
> Hi Diego,
>
> I'm hoping you can forward this to the proper folks at the MPlayer project:

Sure.

> I'd like to feature Metadot as a project of the week on the O'Reilly Network,

What the heck is Metadot?  I'll assume you wanted to say MPlayer
there...

> but wonder if you guys can answer a few questions first:

This mail is CCed to the MPlayer develompent mailing list, so
hopefully you'll get some more answers, in the meantime I'll give you
mine.

> 1) Why you authored it, what was the itch that made you scratch?

Arpi was not at all satisfied with the movie players available at the
beginning of 2000 for Linux and decided to write his own.

> 2) What do you consider its most impressive features?

It's extremely fast, it supports more different audio and video
formats than anything else, highly portable and has many many features
that make it highly flexible.

> 3) What's cooking for future releases?

more of the above

> 4) What has been the biggest success of the project thus far?

Becoming the movie player with the best format support, speed and
largest feature set as well as the number one player for Unix.

Diego