[MPlayer-dev-eng] mencoder start position

Jérôme Petazzoni jp at enix.org
Fri Dec 3 16:35:15 CET 2004

>I think that -ss option isn't correct. When I want to seek to exact
>position mplayer/mencoder seek to nearest keyframe, not to position. BTW
>it will be good if position can be choose by frame.

I agree. Accurate seeking (even if it costs some CPU, and/or is done
only at movie start) would be a very nice feature ; for instance to
compare video quality of different codecs (or with different keyframe
periods for instance).

Unless someone knows an accurate way to do accurately the job of this
simple script :
(it expects some videos as arguments and will create a handful of png
images to compare them at different points)

#!/bin/sh
TIMEMARKS="5 10 15 20"
for SOURCE in "$@"
do
        for MARK in $TIMEMARKS
        do
                mplayer -really-quiet -ss $MARK -ao null -vo png -frames
8 "$SOURCE" >/dev/null
                mv "00000004.png" "out.$MARK.$SOURCE.png"
        done
done