[MPlayer-dev-eng] Via C3 FPU performance optimalisation

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Aug 28 08:10:05 CEST 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 12:50:31PM -0500, Joey Parrish wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 07:28:27PM +0200, iSteve wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > I'm generally clueless person, as it comes to coding, and especially
> > low-level stuff, but I've found out this FPU performance boost trick for
> > Via C3 processors, and as as far as I know, video playback depends on
> > fpu a lot, so it might be nice to use this in mplayer optimalisations,
> > as C3 processors are used in hometheater PCs a lot.

No, video playback is integer only. Using float is way too slow.
The only float code in MPlayer is iirc in one of the audio filters.

> > http://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2004/03/040331_C3Fpu/040331_C3Fpu.htm
[big snip]

> I don't have any idea what to do with that.

Nothing at all. We dont use any borland compiler, gcc is afaik even on
windows the compiler to use. Beside, the last section rather looks like a bug
in windows or the Delphi libs than anything else. FPU exceptions should
always be handled apropriately by the right application if enabled.

			Attila Kinali